Monday, March 7, 2011

Real Trucker?

Sometimes I think I'm not a real trucker, because I drive shortline and am never more than a day's drive from home. Then I have days like today, when I a) spend 9 hours, unpaid, sitting in a repair shop waiting room, and b) spend part of that time on the phone with my car insurance company and the DMVs of two states trying to find out why my rates have gone up astronomically over an alleged two-point violation I got in the truck in another state last year, which in fact did not have any points associated with it, and incidentally was issued for choosing the safer although illegal of two courses of action.

For a trucker, I have a very cushy life. I'm home every weekend and several nights during the week, and I can't even compare that to the life of someone who is away from home for weeks at a time (which has been my life before and I don't want to be again). But a day spent sitting in a waiting room because the truck in the repair bay is my only means of transportation is the same whether that shop is in Las Vegas or 10 miles from home; and the legal responsibilities and ramifications of driving a 75'-long vehicle 40+ hours a week also don't change with geography.

No comments:

Post a Comment